Hydroponics Growing Medium act as an anchor to the plant so it does not fall over as it grows, provide good drainage of nutrient solution and allow the flow of oxygen to the plant roots. Almost anything can be used as a growing medium if it meets these basic requirements:
- It must be reasonably dense to provide enough weight and mass to anchor a plant but it cannot be too dense or it will impede the flow of oxygen and nutrient solution.
- It must be clean and/or sterile to impede the spread of disease and pest.
- Each individual growing medium 'nugget' must be small enough to provide a larger amount of surface area to remain damp with nutrient solution between flooding to allow the plant to feed.
- It must be of a neutral PH (we do not want PH problems).
- It should be easy to work with.